commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: how should log levels work? [Was Re: [Logging] default log level]
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:49:09 GMT

On Wednesday, January 9, 2002, at 11:19 PM, Scott Sanders wrote:

> From what you are saying then I would like to propose Paulo's suggestion
> of removing setLevel().  The slippery slope is much too steep :(

now i'm thinking about it, this route has difficulties as well. some
loggers (eg. LogKit) think that being able to get the current priority for
the logger is too much of a security risk. so you can't rely on the
wrapper being able to get a decent value for getLogLevel. components would
therefore have to avoid using this the getter since the effect would be
log system dependent. so i guess that if you're removing the setter there'
s an argument for removing getter as well.

- robert