commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:20:39 GMT
On 1/30/02 4:05 PM, "Colin Sharples" <sharples@nz1.ibm.com> wrote:

> Having followed this, er, debate with some amusement, I get the feeling
> that if some of the energy directed at this list had instead been directed
> towards JSR-47, then this discussion could have been avoided entirely. What
> if JSR-47 had come up with a common interface that could be used outside of
> Merlin, that would have allowed Log4J, Avalon et al to plug into a common
> interface that was part of the JDK?

That's a whole other kettle of fish....

Take a gander at

  http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/srtw.html

And to answer what would have happened?  We most likely couldn't create an
OSS implementation due to restrictive licensing of the JSR :)

System and Software Consulting
"We will be judged not by the monuments we build, but by the monuments we
destroy" - Ada Louise Huxtable