commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:13:54 GMT
On 1/29/02 6:40 PM, "Scott Sanders" <ssanders@nextance.com> wrote:

> [...]

And he was one commit of a STATUS file away, which I see now he did.

This might be something we can finally fix?  I think Peter's actions are a
good illustration of the problems with this experiment in community.

I still like the idea that as a group we can decide what goes into commons -
I believe that we all should play a role in deciding what commons is and
becomes.

However, once a component is added, lets drop this silly 'commit to the
STATUS file' gate, and use the conventional approach?  In terms of effect, I
would bet nothing really changes - I am sure anyone who shows commitment,
interest and competence with a component will be granted committer status -
and there are enough of us around here to apply peer pressure in case
something gets tangled due to personality or some such tangential issue.

As for me, while I have misgivings about components logging to a commons
logging component, my time to affect things is past - I had my chance when
we first decided to bring it into commons, which I voted +1 for, and since
then, where I could have participated and shaped it by participating in the
component.  I had a comment here and there, lots of unspoken/unwritten
thoughts about it, but that's my problem.

So if the committers of the project are fine with the release, none of us
should second-guess them.  Of course, just add yourself to STATUS if you
want to - that's perfectly allowed. :)

I would bet Peter has now effectively made his point, and we can thank him
for clearly demonstrating a wrinkle in our governance model.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                       geirm@optonline.net
System and Software Consulting