commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:50:20 GMT
On 1/29/02 2:46 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm glad there is more than one choice in logging frameworks in the world,
> with differing feature sets and philosophies.  I just want to avoid having
> a Commons component that wants to do logging (such as Digester or
> BeanUtils) dictating to an application that it *must* use exactly one of
> them, whether it wants to or not.

If I can find the time, I'd like to go back and reread our discussions on
this topic when creating commons.

There was some discussion about the sentiment that components shouldn't
generally log, as we wanted to avoid the contruction of a component
framework.  Now we have components that need to log, and built a logging
component to support that.

I haven't looked at the commons logging API, and will do that before voting.
I would imagine that at this point (a day late :) my vote might not amount
to much, but I want to be sure what I am voting on...

System and Software Consulting
"He who throws mud only loses ground." - Fat Albert