commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging Jdk14Logger.java LogSource.java package.html
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 03:32:53 GMT
On 1/7/02 8:38 PM, "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de> wrote:

>> Trying to build logging-package-specific knowledge like this into a "thin"
>> wrapper layer seems like a slippery slope.
>
> For simple file based logging configuration it is actually quite simple
> to do that for the 3 logging APIs we have been talking about. Very light.
>
> You can have a several modes:
> - Give me some already configured logger (minimal common logging code):
> - Find some logger already configured (just a bit more code);
> - Configure the logger you find to log to this file (just a bit more);
>
> - Primordial logger and silly simple logger would take more than the
>  previous 2 bits.
>
> You can find some "log to this file" configuration code in Velocity for
> both Log4J and LogKit. You can find it at:
>   CVS Repository:
>       jakarta-velocity
>   path:
>       \src\java\org\apache\velocity\runtime\log

I have been wanting to jump into this thread and mention it, but I am so
hopelessly behind I can never seem to catch up.

(Maybe I should stop yammering on general@)

Yes, this system seems to work well for us, basically finding the first
supported logging system in the classpath if no logger is configured by the
application.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                       geirm@optonline.net
System and Software Consulting