commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rwald...@us.britannica.com>
Subject RE: HTTP Client: HttpMethod/HttpMethodBase patches
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:31:44 GMT
By your own description--"for setting headers such as 'User-Agent', which
most often stay fixed during the whole life of an application and do not
change from request to request", I'd suggest that the "default header"
aspects should live in HttpClient or some other user-agent (browser-like)
class.  That way the agent could apply the headers to every HttpMethod it
executes, rather than having to set up each method independently with the
set of defaults.

-----Original Message-----
From: Otis Gospodnetic
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: 1/13/02 2:33 PM
Subject: HTTP Client: HttpMethod/HttpMethodBase patches

Hello,

I added the two methods for setting/adding default request headers for
setting headers such as 'User-Agent', which most often stay fixed during

the whole life of an application and do not change from request to
request.

I'm including the patch to HttpMethod (interface) and HttpMethodBase
(impl of that interface).

Originally I wanted to add the ability to set the default request
headers for 1) efficiency, and 2) simpler code.

However, now after I added them it seems to me that this is actually not

the most efficient way of doing it (checking 2 HashMaps vs. 1 HashMap in

  5 of those add*RequestHeader methods).  It is probably more efficient
to just call setRequestHeader(String, String) over and over, which is
what I wanted to avoid in the first place, thinking that it's
inefficient.

On the other hand, the call that uses HTTP Client can be a bit simpler
and cleaner because it won't have to call setRequestHeader(String,
String) over and over for the non-variable headers, between method
recycling .

Therefore, a question for all: what do you think, do these patches
improve things or not?
Please let me know if they can or cannot be applied to the versions in
the repository.  At this point I'm fine either way :)

Thanks,
Otis
 <<HttpMethod.patch>>  <<HttpMethodBase.patch>>  <<ATT98116.txt>>