commons-dev mailing list archives

From Juozas Baliuka <bali...@mwm.lt>
Subject RE: [simplestore] enhancements (was: [simplestore] inital check in)
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:45:05 GMT

>When the number of items reaches a set maximum, I'd like to remove the
>reference to them from the hashtable and spool them to disk.  Reaching
>the set item number limit, the cache should overflow onto disk.  It is a
>rough swap that's all.
>
>This technique doesn't endlessly leak memory.

I believe your OS does this job "Virtual Memory Management", no JVM no JAVA
application must do this.
It is impossible for OS to do this if JVM  allocates not moveable memory, I
believe it don't.
I think it is not very meaningful to dublicate OS functionality in JAVA
application, It can be meaningful
if single application with single thread runs on your machine.