commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:42:43 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Scott Sanders wrote:
>
>> Berin, I think that I understand how you feel, and although the
>> abstraction was implemented outside of Avalon, I do believe that Avalon
>> should be attributed in some way, because it ended up being so close.
>>
>> What can we do to make this better?  The biggest difference that I see
>> is that commons-logging is trying to be super small.  I want to talk
>> this out before I give my +1 on the release.  I am willing to try and
>> make this better.
>>
>> I am -0 until I can see completely where Berin is coming from.
>

> I want it documented in the javadocs and/or other documentation where
> the design
> for this originated, and author attributes for the original authors of the
> Logger abstraction.
>
> The fact that this is outside of Avalon is beside the point.  However,
> you should
> attribute the original source that influenced its design.

Secondly, since we are so similar, the JDK 1.4 logger category mappings should
be syncronized (the only difference is that commons logging is FINEST for debug
and avalon is FINE for debug).

That way there is nothing that changes between the abstraction that you decide
to use.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin