commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Commit Status Request
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:10:49 GMT
Jeff,

>This is Jeff Prickett and I would like to request Commit Status in the
>Commons so that I can continue iCalendar development and attempt to
>build a community around the product.

+1 from me.  I'm not quite sure of the voting rules given that I am
active in one Commons project only.

I saw your discussion on jakarta-general list and am personally pleased
that you are back.

You had stated that you'd be keen on EJB.  I'd like to propose that you
consider two alternate scenarios:

1) Refactor to use jakarta-avalon-phoenix as a base, with
jakarta-avalon-excalibur, jakarta-avalon-cornerstone and jakarta-commons
components to assist development.

2) Merge in with the jakarta-james project.  This is as (1) above, but a
preexisting project.  They already have a server that simulteaeously
hosts POP3, SMTP, IMAP, NNTP.  iCalendar (as a related RFC server
protocol) fits directly with their designs.

If I may cross-quote you:

  "If I chose EJB I am probably going to spend a lot of time
   explaining it to newcomers, it is a lot more complicated than
   non-EJB, but it will be based on what is fast becoming the
   industry standard for server side components."

Phoenix exists because you can't make a Mail or Web-server etc from EJB
comps.  You can make it from those described in (1) above :

These have done-
  JAMES - http://jakarta.apache.org/james/ (Mail)
  Jo! - http://www.tagtraum.com/ (web server)
  JabberServer - http://sourceforge.net/projects/jabaserver (Jabber IM)