commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AltRMI Tasks if anyone want to take them
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:28:25 GMT
Sam,

>.. as long as it is black.  ;-)
>
>Excellent reply.  It touches on one of the significant (IMHO) differences
>between commons and avalon.  It is a different point than the one I was
>going after (the difference between an auto parts store and the parts
>counter at a car dealership), but a good point nevertheless.

OK, a quesiton.  Commons is about "beanlike" classes that have multiple
reuse in servers (though client is not precluded).  Avalon-Excalibur is
about reusable components that fit the IoC pattern, and in the context
of Avalon are decorated at startup from XML configuration, to do this
quite a few of them site of Avalon-Framework's componenet abstractions.
 That a (my) simple view.

I've tried to code AltRMI so that is usable in the context of an XML
configurable component env like Avalon-Phoenix.  It's quite easy if you
<boredom-alert> rigidly separate interface and impl </boredom-alert>.
 Of course I could have got it quite wrong...  Thus in my view AltRMI is
beanlike but because of it's interface/impl separation, it can fit the
Avalon-Phoenix env too.  I can't help feeling that I have forgotten
about the needs of my Excalibur buddies.

Regards,

- Paul