commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AltRMI & load balanced requets from client to server(s)
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:23:38 GMT
James,

>Just thought I'd mention, using JMS Queues is a great way of implementing
>load balancing server clusters. If servers fail messages are rerouted to
>other working servers. Messages can be stored persistently for full fault
>tolerance so that if there are no servers running messages are not lost and
>things will recover properly when servers are restarted. Though this
>requires a JMS provider though - and a decent one costs money these days.

Yup those features or JMS would be good.  Also a JNDI lookup that could
return a different server each time would be cool.

One design principle behind AltRMI is the rigid separation of interface,
abstract parent classes and concrete impl.  With this a completely
standalone AltRMI client should be able to collaborate with a remote
server who's functionality has been rewritten/extended/reimplemented for
various reasons.  All that is comon to all is in the common package.

The point is that there could be two or three impls of the load
balancing client factory :-)  They may or may not share code.

Regards,

- Paul H