commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons Validator Packaging/Content
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 01:42:27 GMT
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> That is my question. Why doesn't David work towards integrating Intake into
> Struts instead of working on pulling what is duplicated from Struts out into
> Commons? The answer is simple...it is David's itch to scratch and it is the
> simplest thing for him to do. That is the current failure of Jakarta in my
> eyes. Jakarta has become no better than Sourceforge. It is a place where you
> can dump your least common denominator.
>
> Instead of Struts working to use Turbine code and then move it into Commons.
> Struts came up with their own validation framework, made it stable in Struts
> land and is now dumping it into Commons. There is a complete lack of
> communication there.

Yes, we recognized that last year, and so created the Commons. At that
time, David's framework already existed. Learning the lessons of
Turbine, we decided not to integrate into Struts, and left it as a
free-standing component. (It was created that way from the beginning.)

David has already done the work. At this point, the duplication of
effort would be making Intake a free standing component. If someone
wants to do that, and donate it to the Commons, I think that would be
great,  especially since the Commons specifically provides for
competiting implementations.

-- Building Java web applications with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/