commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul C. Bryan" <em...@pbryan.net>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] Support for Basic and Form-based authentication ?
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 20:12:17 GMT
Vincent Massol wrote:

> I'd like to know if HttpClient currently supports any authentication
> scheme (basic, form-based) ? If not, is someone working on this ? If no,
> do you think it would be good to add it ?

The HttpClient library currently supports HTTP basic authentication.

As there are no standards for form-based authentication (acknowledgement
of success, failure, state mechanisms, and so on), it is up to the
application to implement site-specific form-based authentication schemes.

> The end story is that I need to add basic and form-authentication to
> Cactus (We actually have the code for it as Jason Robertson has
> submitted it on the Cactus mailing-list) but I also wanted to move the
> HTTP connection to HttpClient (instead of using HttpURLConnection and my
> own code on top of it). Of course, I would prefer not to reinvent the
> wheel and have a clean separation of concerns, which is why I am asking
> this here: Do you think authentication is too application-centric for
> HttpClient or do you think it is in scope ?

IMHO, I think form-based authentication is too application-centric for
HttpClient, therefore out of scope. However, HTTP authentication is in
HttpClient, right where it belongs.

Yours truly,

Paul C. Bryan <email@pbryan.net>
http://pbryan.net/