commons-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons/Avalon [was Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release]
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:01:20 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:38, bayard@generationjava.com wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:11, bayard@generationjava.com wrote:
> > > Is there a fundamental clash of philosophies between the two that is
> > > yet to be resolved? Is it resolvable?
> >
> > The main difference is that you should not be able to vote on things you
> > are not a developer on. Other than that it is largely window dressing
> > differences.
>
> I'm not sure I get this. A patch to a system makes sense, the developers
> on a project will not want a bad patch or a misplaced patch to be added.

Not sure what you mean. I as a non-contributing, non-user get voting rights
over something like logging - does that seem like a good idea?

> But a new release of something, or even a new project will nearly always
> be voted for by the developers as +1? Where's the controlling negative
> factor?

Who needs a negative factor - the community decides what is crap and what is
good and you would be surprised at how many developers wont support new
releases if it is a bad idea. New projects are slightly different.

> > > My understanding so far is that Avalon is a standard framework for
> > > server-side applications, providing a set of common components to
> > > assist in that framework.
> > >
> > > And that Commons is a set of common components for use in any
> > > framework.
> >
> > Well you understanding is wrong ;) But quite a few people have made an
> > active effort to make you believe that so it is forgiveable. The majority
> > of Avalons components are framework agnostic or have framework agostic
> > base classes.
>
> I'm happy to believe that. Good coders like to do that kinda thing and I
> expect Apache coders to be good coders. I guess the difference is more in
> the stated target of those components? As a dumb component user, would I
> be likely to come across an Avalon component and think of using it
> separate from the whole structure?

mostly.

> Are Commons and Avalon different marketing ploys?

largely. The struts community needed somewhere to extract components that
could be shared with TC and so forth - they didn't want to play with others,
thus commons was created.

--
Cheers,

Pete