commons-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons/Avalon [was Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release]
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:15:51 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:11, bayard@generationjava.com wrote:
> Is there a fundamental clash of philosophies between the two that is yet
> to be resolved? Is it resolvable?

The main difference is that you should not be able to vote on things you are
not a developer on. Other than that it is largely window dressing differences.

> My understanding so far is that Avalon is a standard framework for
> server-side applications, providing a set of common components to assist
> in that framework.
>
> And that Commons is a set of common components for use in any framework.

Well you understanding is wrong ;) But quite a few people have made an active
effort to make you believe that so it is forgiveable. The majority of Avalons
components are framework agnostic or have framework agostic base classes.

current structure was advocated by an AValon developer and that is based on
the structure of the Avalon component repository ;)

> Avalon predates Commons, but has a less bazaar like atmosphere(?).

I wouldn't say that. Most things are go there. We have had different
implementations of things at different times (4 pool architectures
simultaneously were present) but the only difference is that in the end we
tend to work together more and merge bits together.

--
Cheers,

Pete