commons-dev mailing list archives

From Slawek Zachcial <slawek_zachc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Modeler - MBean external descriptions
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:32:24 GMT
Hi,

I think that having external MBean descriptors (XML
here) is a very good idea - especially that you can
make managable the objects which may not be JMX-aware
- not the case for Standard MBeans.

However I think that it would great to have a way to
specify also mbean/attribute/etc... descriptions
outside the mbeans-descriptors file. Two reasons for
that: 1-you may want to have them localized, 2-for
some kind of automatic UI generation, you may want to
use more complicated formatting (which is not possible
for XML attributes).

So for example we could have an optional
mbean/attribute/operation/etc... attribute like
descriptionID or descriptionKey which would refer to a
message in a resource bundle (did I say sandbox
resources here? :-))). Finally we could instruct the
class creating the MBean descriptor to look for this
external description if available.

cheers,
Slawek