commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:38:53 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:28:44 +0000
> From: robert burrell donkin <robertdonkin@mac.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: cvs commit:
>     jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging
>
> On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 01:47 AM, craigmcc@apache.org wrote:
>
> > craigmcc    02/01/16 17:47:49
> >
> >   Modified:    logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging
> > AbstractLog.java
> >                         Jdk14Logger.java Log.java Log4JCategoryLog.java
> >                         LogKitLogger.java LogSource.java NoOpLog.java
> >                         SimpleLog.java
> >   Log:
> >   Implement the agreed-upon API changes for the commons-logging package.
> >   If the changes are too radical, I tagged things with "before_clean_up"
> > to make
> >   it easy to go back.
>
> hi craig
>
> thanks (i never know how long to wait for votes to finish in the commmons)
> .
>
> i had intended to remove AbstractLog (since it's no longer needed) and
> remove the associated test cases and so on. can i start on those or are
> you still working on some more changes?

I don't have any more changes planned.

However, I had thought about removing AbstractLog as well ... but left it
in because SimpleLog still used it.  Now that we've streamlined
everything, that is probably not necessary any more, so go ahead and
remove it (and change SimpleLog to "implements Log" instead).

After that, I'm going to want to propose a release of this API so that
others can start depending on it.  That means we need to be happy with it
first, of course, because incompatible changes later (like adding anything
new in the Log interface) will be frowned upon.

> - robert

Craig