commons-dev mailing list archives

From Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/digester/src/java/org/apache/commons/digester Digester.java
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:41:06 GMT
On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 08:07:34PM +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> a bit interesting, this one. i think that processing of whitespace is
> parser dependent...

I think, no. White spaces are significant(*) in xml, so the parser can't
drop it. On the other hand whith SAX2 you can have (but not listed amongst
the sax2 core features) ignorable whites space filter, so a sax2
filter can trim out the leading and ending white spaces for you and
maybe compact the other spaces to one space. If this filter would be
standrad then you could rely on it. However the whole status of SAX2
whether it's a standard or not, is a good question.

(*) unless you use the xml:space attribute)

My private opinion that for any other purpose than processing
"hierarchical object structures" using digester is a mistake.
Digester is very good at it, but the other solicitors of
requests like handling mixed content) should turn to another tool.

incze