commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Logging] A few unresolved issues
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:08:05 GMT

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Scott Sanders wrote:

> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:50:53 -0800
> From: Scott Sanders <ssanders@nextance.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: [Logging] A few unresolved issues
>
> In the manifest it should just be minimal runtime, not compile-time
> dependencies, IMHO.  For logging, this would mean nothing.  Unless there
> is something that can say "This is optioanl."

In fact, you need to leave out optional dependencies -- class loaders that
enforce the "required" attribute of the manifest (like the webapp class
loader in Tomcat 4) would choke if Log4J, for example, was not there.

We should still have a manifest documenting the logging package itself --
so that *other* JARs can declare a dependency on commons-logging if
desired.

> Scott

Craig