commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging Jdk14Logger.java LogSource.java package.html
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 20:08:42 GMT

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Scott Sanders wrote:

> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:20:41 -0800
> From: Scott Sanders <ssanders@nextance.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: cvs commit:
>     jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging
>     Jdk14Logger.java LogSource.java package.html
>
> Do we need something more than just checking for the class in Log4J.
> Isn't there some way to see if it has been configured?  Wouldn't that be
> better?

Not necessarily.

Doesn't Log4J have a default configuration?  (If it doesn't, it should).

If the application doesn't want to use Log4J for logging, it shouldn't be
on the classpath at all.  On the other hand, if the classes *are* there,
then the configuration file should have been put in the right place also.

Trying to build logging-package-specific knowledge like this into a "thin"
wrapper layer seems like a slippery slope.

> Scott

Craig