commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: ARMI mobilisation?
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 22:03:54 GMT
On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:53:58PM +0000, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Commoners,
>
> I have pushed a working verision of ARMI into commons-scratchpad and
> anyone with Ant should be able to build and test it.
>
> To become a proper commons project what needs to happen?  Normally
> Jakarta rules insist that a project has an active developer community
> behind it before it gets hosted at Apache.  This is not the case for
> ARMI as it has been a solo effort so far.  Is it as simple as a vote
> from Commons committers?

I think a vote is all that's needed, but the vote would be (strongly?)
influenced by the amount of 'active developer community' the project
has.

(for the record, everyone, Paul is an *extremely* active Avalon
developer.. he's not likely to lose interest and disappear;)

I'd say, what the heck; call a VOTE, and we'll see a) if people think
having a user community is a precondition for a Commons project b) just
how much interest from committers there is.

Everyone's busy on their own little project here.. sometimes it requires
a lot of arm-waving to get a response ;)

Here's Craig's post to an earlier thread, which seems relevant.

>> According to the Commons charter, it doesn't take a vote to put
>> proposed code in the sandbox -- any committer on any Jakarta project
>> can do this.  It's a good way to look at some potential code and play
>> with it a little.  Once the package has been proven to be a good
>> idea, it can be voted in to the standard commons repository (by the
>> committers on COMMONS-DEV).
>>
>> In practice, it seems to work pretty well ... people get a chance to
>> evaluate new ideas (and get interested in contributing) in the
>> sandbox, so a proposed new package can start building a
>> mini-community around it instead of being a one-man show.
>> Historically, migration to the commons repository has been approved
>> every time it's been proposed so far, so it's not like this is really
>> a roadblock.

--Jeff