commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <>
Subject poi-util - recommendations
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:08:55 GMT
Hi All,

I'm working on refactoring POI for the creation of its Jakarta
subproject.  POI currently maintains a package called
net.sourceforge.poi.util which is essentially a package of things
necessary for POI that we may not have found elsewhere and had
to write ourselves.  These are necessary for POI but have absolutely
nothing to do with POI's actual mission.  Most of these classes are
fairly universal.  From the start we've wanted to get them out of the
project and put them in some sort of reusable library somewhere.  I even
considered donating them to a *stuff* package on sourceforge but never
found the place.  (all the "stuff" projects were dead)

I really don't think the belong in their own area as there aren't *that*
many of them and *never* will/should be.  Some of these seem to span a
couple of projects in commons/commons-sandbox.  What I'd like to do is
donate them to one or more packages and just use those packages from
this point forward.  We'd of course continue to maintain and support
them and probably drop in to add new functionality from time to time.

If you have a moment, please look over this list and give me your
recommendation on where they should go and let me know how off base I
am.  I've read the commons page but it gave me more questions than
answers regarding these:

(url of current web-cvs)			- Dual Mapped Tree Map
				- Allows key->Value and Value->key
				- essentially 2 r-b trees w/o having the
				- substantial overhead of double the
				- number of nodes!			- Bit field is used to represent 				- bitfields as well
as manipulate them
				- by mask			- used by bitfield			- used by bitfield interface for the
				- different supported lengths		- used by bitfield (32 bit field)			- used by bitfield (64 bit field)			- used by bitfield (16 bit field)			- Utility for performing HexDumps
				- mostly for debuggign			- int primitive list collection			- short primitive list collection		- constants (such as the length of a
				- short used for LittleEndian		- utility class for manipulating data
				- written in little endian format.		- utility for producing/configuring
				- instances of Logger			- class (uses string util) for logging
				- (via log4j currently).  Includes some
				- extremely useful functionality
				- including c-printf-style logging
				- (not exactly, but like it)
				- along with logfactory helps configure
				- logging along multiple log files			- would probably be best split
				- includes everything "string" including
				- the formatting for Logger, special
				- unicode/compressed unicode conversions
				- etc.

I appreciate it.

-- - port of Excel format to java
			- fix java generics!