commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:32:11 GMT
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> >>So that clinches it.  The _initial_ HttpClient abstraction was
definitely
> >>not informed by Avalon.  In fact, we had already packaged Logging as a
> >>separate component by then.  (Hey, I guess I wrote the proposal.  I
should
> >>add myself as a contributor!)
> >>
> >>Maybe the Avalon abstraction should have a credit to HttpClient.  ;)
> >
> > +1 ;-)
> > Although, seeing all this, I'm not sure I want to be involved in any way
> > with Avalon ;-)
>
> However, if you guys tried to work with us from the outset, much of this
> confusion would never have risen.

Maybe at that time we *didn't* want to work together for some very specific
reasons. After all, the original commons proposal, which I was part of,
was -1ed only by Peter, because we apparently had diverging opinions about
how shared code should be governed.
Given the number of components in the commons, I think it has been quite
successful with its goals, and it did abide by its basic principles
(openness, bazaar style repository, extremely few external dependencies, no
imposed coding style, etc etc).

I'm also greatly disturbed by the timing and the ferocity of your
complaints. AFAIK, nobody here did invent the facade pattern or the Logger
interface (or whatever you choose to call it). It seems Rodney came up with
something similar to LogKit by accident.

Now, if all you want is some credit for "being there", then so be it, you
have it :) You just could have asked it a lot sooner and in a lot nicer way.

Scott added that: "That is the past.  This is the present, and I WANT Avalon
and commons to work in harmony, not dischord."
Well, maybe, but the present still reminds me of the past a lot :-(
Hopefully, that's the last time it happens.

Remy