commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Morgan Delagrange" <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:17:32 GMT
I believe so.  I remember discussing the idea of the abstraction layer
before Rod wrote it, and Avalon never came up.  Of course, I don't claim to
have a perfect memory.  ;)  org/apache/commons/httpclient/log/Log.java is 5
months, 4 weeks old, while org/apache/avalon/framework/logger/Logger.java is
2 months, 4 weeks old, if that is any indication (which it may not be, who
knows).

It doesn't really matter IMO.  Clearly people who knew Avalon were involved
with the discussions over the past few months, as were people familiar with
Log4J.  I remember Ceki was a very active participant in the early
discussions.  There should be some mention of both projects as influences to
the final product, although the basic approach may not originate from
either.

- Morgan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Sanders" <ssanders@nextance.com>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 2:01 PM
Subject: RE: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release

So, you are saying that httpclient originated the code without influence
from avalon?

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/api/org/apache/avalon/framework/logger/
package-summary.html

The pieces in question are:

org.apache.avalon.logger.Logger org.apache.avalon.logger.LogKitLogger
org.apache.avalon.logger.Log4JLogger
org.apache.avalon.logger.Jdk14Logger

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin