commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: AltRMI - Proposal & request for help
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:06:21 GMT

[snip]

> > This sounds similar to Cactus:
> >
> >     http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/how_it_works.html
>
> Thanks for the link.
>
> I talked with Vincent about this recently; Cactus is quite HTTP /
servlet
> /
> web application focussed. I'm interested in something that would work
with
> arbitrary groups of processes in a protocol independant manner, e.g.
for
> JMS
> consumers and producers or AltRMI clients and servers or arbitrary
SOAP
> processes using different frameworks etc. So its similar to Cactus but
> more
> focussed on arbitrary groups of distributed processes using any
protocols.

FYI, Cactus was HTTP / Servlet / webapp focused until now ... Don't
forget that its goal is simply to provide server-side unit testing
capabilities (whatever server-side means :-) ). We focused on webapp
first, and are moving towards EJB (already in progress). The next step
we are preparing is to offer an SPI for redirector writers + custom
injectors. We're going to add JMS support soon (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg00999.html
for the details) but initially for MDBs. However, any protocol can be
added once we offer this public SPI (which is already there but not
public).

I agree it may not be exactly what you're interested in but thought you
might want to know about it.

Cheers,
-Vincent