commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Morgan Delagrange" <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Latka code formatting
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:18:05 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@optonline.net>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: Latka code formatting

> On 1/7/02 6:44 PM, "Jon Scott Stevens" <jon@latchkey.com> wrote:
>
> > on 1/7/02 3:40 PM, "Morgan Delagrange" <mdelagra@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> If Turbine can do it, why not us?  :)
> >>
> >> - Morgan
> >
> > Correct. That is *exactly* what I want to see happen.
> >
> > The rule is, right now, that if you take the time to document your
process
> > by making a website out of it and getting sub-project agreement on it,
then
> > you can do it.
> >

> That's interesting : why sub-project agreement?
>
> Don't the commons rules apply?

I don't think Commons technically has a stance on code formatting.  We
discussed it way back when, but I don't think consensus was reached; the Sun
convention is a footnote in the charter, but it's not really specified as a
requirement.

> (Yes, I'm stirring mud here - I actually fully support  Latka doing what
the
> subcommunity wants to do, but there has been so much talk of sticking to
the
> letter of the guidelines, it's an interesting question to me...)

Yes it seems to make sense to do it on a sub-project basis.  If you're not
an active committer for the code, you shouldn't really care how it is
formatted.  :)

- Morgan