commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Morgan Delagrange" <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Latka] new Website docs and public DTDs
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:00:39 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "dIon Gillard" <dion@multitask.com.au>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Latka] new Website docs and public DTDs

> Morgan Delagrange wrote:
>
> >Hey dIon et al.
> >
> >The new docs and public DTDs look great!  Just a few comments...
> >
> >Public DTDs are a good idea, but we may want to go ahead and account for
> >revolutions.  We can guarantee that Latka 1.0 test suites will work in
Latka
> >1.1 and Latka 1.8.4, but we won't guarantee that they will work for Latka
> >2.0.  If we don't plan accordingly, 1.x users will have to update all of
> >their tests' URLs if the 2.0 DTD is not backward compatible.  Rather than
> >using http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/latka/dtds/suite.dtd for our
sytem
> >identifier, how about something like
> >http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/latka/dts/1.x/suite.dtd ?  If we do
> >something like this now, we can treat all our major releases
consistently.

> I think the style used by sun is to place to version number in the dtd
> file name, e.g.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/latka/dtds/suite-1.1.dtd
>
> This makes sense to me, rather than having a separate directory for
> each. What do u think?

My hesitation is that, as you know, the Latka DTD is not one big file but
several entity files wrapped by a small XML doc.  If we didn't use separate
directories, we'd have to put version numbers on all of those files.  Long
term, that seems like a hassle.  In any case, any non-backwards compatible
change to the DTD should require a major release, so we will be able to get
away with one DTD for all 1.x releases.

> >Also, keep in mind that you have to spin off your own DTD when you want
> >validate your own custom tests.  I don't think I've covered this in the
docs
> >yet, but I will.  (I actually have some ideas for making custom DTDs
easier
> >by rearranging the way we combine the DTD fragments.)
> >
> Cool....look forward to it.
>

> >The new Latka site docs are a big improvement.  My only comment, and I
find
> >this to be true for many Jakarta projects, is that the User's Guide, XML
> >Reference and API Documentation are IMO a bit buried.  It's easy to
overlook
> >the left-hand column, because it all looks like generic site navigation.
At
> >some point, we may want to make those sections available as links in the
> >right-hand side.
> >
> Sounds like a damn fine idea. I'll add the links to the 'home' page
> today, and ask the site be updated once I've committed to cvs.

Groovy, thanks!

> >Also, looks like the API docs didn't make it over yet.  No biggie.  Can't
> >wait for Sam to develop his magic site build; I hate maintaining
generated
> >docs in CVS.
> >
> I'm keen to get that going, so I'll see how I can help Sam out on this
> one...My biggest hassle with Jakarta technologies acceptance down here
> is that not enough people know how much fantastic stuff is available,
> and most of them are scared off by the lack of 'user' docs.
>
> We're getting there....

Yup. ;)

- Morgan