commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Antoan Nikolaev" <ant...@newnetco.com>
Subject RE: HTTP Client: HttpConnection patch
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:47:03 GMT
Hi, I am new to this list, but very interested in your HttpClient.
You are talking about reding system properties for the timeouts.
JDK1.4 already has such properties, you might want to use the same in
your 1.3 implementation,
So when you migrate to 1.4, you won't have to do anything more.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/net/properties.html
Let me know If I make sense...
Antoan

-----Original Message-----
From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis.gospodnetic@blink.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 4:11 PM
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: HTTP Client: HttpConnection patch

Hello,

A few times I mentioned that HttpConnection hangs when it encounters
servers that are down, unreachable, etc.
I did a bit of debugging and it appears that it is calls to 'new
Socket(....)' that are blocking.  Furthermore, it looks like there is no

simple cure for that in Java's version 1.3 of the API.

However, JDK 1.4 exposes a 'connect' method in Socket class, which
allows a timeout value to be specified.

I modified my local version of HttpClient to use that and it works
perfectly.  I was doing tests with a set of about 1150 URLs and 10
threads.  Before this change it would take about 16 minutes to fetch
1150 pages, and now it takes about 3. Note that I hard-coded the connect

timeout value, but I realize that the default value should probably be
in a static final int and that we should probably expose this via a
public method that allows one to set the timeout value.

I understand that not everyone will want to use it, but it may be good
to apply this patch anyway and then comment it out, so that it is easy
for people to uncomment it out and use it.  Or perhaps HttpConnection
could check one of the System properties that shows the JVM version and
use either the old or the new code, depending on the property.

What do you think?

Otis