commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jim Scott" <jimsc...@thehomefront.org>
Subject Re: Commons Validator Packaging/Content
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 18:29:39 GMT
 I am a user.  I have been following (lurking actually) the discussion on
documentation.

Until the "developers" make sure that the objects that are developed at
jakarta are documented so a typical user can use them, they will not be
widely used.

I would like to use many of these tools, but don't have the time to dig them
out, and reverse engineer them.  So, I just write my own, like everyone
else.

IMHO, until the documentation is made part of the formal committing process,
the jakarta tools will only be valuable to the people who developed them.

I know that I am opening myself up to a serious flame, but that is the way I
see it.

Jim Scott

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 10:49 AM
Subject: RE: Commons Validator Packaging/Content

> No. We simply have more developers than users. If we had more users who
> turned into developers, we might have more documentation.

Whatever is the cause of the documentation problem, this is the reason
why people are not aware of those components.

If Turbine and Avalon would have Velocity-like documentation quality...

I am just trying to put my finger on the issue. If the developers of such
components are aware of this, maybe they make an extra effort to create
better documentation since the start.

I mean, that is what I will try to do - being aware of this - when I
(finally) release one of my components since I want as many people as
possible to use it. And most other developers just want the same.

BTW, isn't most of Velocity documentation created by its developers?
=;o)

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar