commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicholas Lesiecki" <n...@eblox.com>
Subject Torque learning curve WAS: RE: Jakarta Persistence Framework?
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:06:48 GMT
Amen on the learning curve. Erik Hatcher recommended Torque to me, and I
tried checking it out...I had no idea where to start. So I'm continuing to
use EJB/CMP--which does in fact work just fine with Struts.

Kudos to all committers on keeping Struts' domain of expertise limited.

Cheers,

nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Husted [mailto:husted@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 10:47 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: Jakarta Persistence Framework?

Vincent Massol wrote:
> Have you checked Scaffold (built by Ted Husted) in the contrib directory
> of Struts (http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-struts/contrib/) ? It
> does a bit of what you'd like although maybe not everything.

No! Stop! -- Let Bryan hook up Torque to Struts -- so he can tell me how
to do it too ;-)

I'm *very* interested in doing more work with Torque, but coming from
outside a Turbine background, I just don't know where to start ;-(

Calling any persistence layer from a Struts Action should not be
difficult. The Action just pulls out what is needed from the http layer,
passes it up, and passes back the result. The trick is often finding a
simple enough example. I'm sure Scarab puts Torque through its paces,
but a "Hello World" would be very helpful for a newcomer. (And, of
course, if I ever get past the curve, I'll eagerly provide one of my own
;0)

Most of *really* aren't interested in re-inventing the wheel. Sometimes
it's just hard to find out how the lugnuts are threaded.

-- Building Java web applications with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/