commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rodney Waldhoff" <rw...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: HTTP Client hangs
Date Sat, 15 Dec 2001 01:27:15 GMT
otisg@ivillage.com wrote:

>I really think that HTTP Client has a bug somewhere that allows it to hang
>indefinitely when it encounters cases like this one
>[...]

It's hard to diagnose the problem from your description. A simple test case
that reproduces the problem would be helpful.

>By adding some more logging around the calls to HTTP Client methods I
>determined that the code hangs when executeMethod is called
>[...]

This doesn't tell us very much. It's a little like saying a Java application
hangs when main() is called, or that a servlet hangs when service() is
called--that's where all the action is.

>Now if I could just get logging to work....
>Is anyone using Log4J with HTTP Client?

As you may have seen, I just fixed a problem there. Grab the latest nightly,
or if you're in a hurry, just set add a
-Dhttpclient.log=org.apache.commons.httpclient.log.Log4JCategoryLogger
system property to your invocation of HttpClient and it should work as you
expect. The SimpleLogger also works.

Try the httpclient.wirelog category as a starting point, this should tell
you what HttpClient is reading and writing from the stream.