commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clearing the air regarding Avalon utilities and Commons
Date Wed, 26 Dec 2001 19:55:45 GMT
Scott Sanders wrote:

>>From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>>

> So then you start moving it over.  In commons everything is broken out
> component-wise, but this is nothing new.  Let's start talking about how
> to go forward with whatever you/we feel should be in the commons.  I see
> commons as a bunch of components, but I tend to NOT see a framework in
> commons.
>
> So let's get all Excalibur's and Avalon's utility code into commons,
> then Excalibur still uses it, and commons doesn't have to rewrite
> (although rewriting seems to be the jakarta way, IMHO).  Everybody
> should win.  Right?

Theorhetically.

Now Avalon utilities include a pooling implementation that is nothing like
the Pool package in Commons.  Should the new pooling package be moved in
with that?  And then what about the synchronization primitives?  Do we know
where they would go?

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin