commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/beanutils/src/java/org/apache/commons/beanutils BasicDynaBean.java BasicDynaClass.java DynaProperty.java DynaBean.java DynaClass.java
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:40:09 GMT

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:05:32 -0500
> From: Erik Hatcher <jakarta-commons@ehatchersolutions.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: cvs commit:
>     jakarta-commons/beanutils/src/java/org/apache/commons/beanutils
>     BasicDynaBean.java BasicDynaClass.java DynaProperty.java DynaBean.java
>     DynaClass.java
>
> A question about coding standards...

They do ... Section 7.4.

> Granted, Struts works very well, but ActionServlet drives me crazy to read
> through!  :)  (no offense, Craig)

:-)

> But more importantly, why the inconsistency?

Laziness and sloth ... because my fingers have been typing if statements
like this for a loooong time.  :-)

I have no problems with switching to { } around all if blocks.

> >           try {
> >               return ((DynaBean)
> constructor.newInstance(constructorValues));
> >           } catch (InvocationTargetException e) {
> >               throw new InstantiationException
> >                   (e.getTargetException().getMessage());
> >           }
>
> Curly brackets are used for try/catch, but not for if.

Java code won't compile without these braces ... it will without braces on
the if statements.

> I'd like to push for always using curly brackets, but those might be
> fighting words for some.... so ignore little ol' me if its a big deal as I
> don't want to get a long thread started about such things, I just wanted to
> bring it up and see if this particular issue is specified in the Jakarta
> (aka Sun) coding standards.  I'm a follower (as best I humanly can) of the
> guidelines in the book The Elements of Java Style.

Sounds fine to me ... let's just not fight about whether the left brace
goes on the end of the "if" or not ...

>     Erik

Craig