commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Design Discussion] DynaBean - JavaBeans with dynamic properties
Date Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:28:46 GMT

On 15 Dec 2001, Bryan Field-Elliot wrote:

> Date: 15 Dec 2001 14:49:30 -0700
> From: Bryan Field-Elliot <bryan_lists@netmeme.org>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [Design Discussion] DynaBean - JavaBeans with dynamic
>     properties
>
> This is good stuff, and definitely needed in Java.
>
> One question I have is, (and I don't believe you address it in your
> overview), will the resulting DynaBean be a real Java class, or will it
> instead be something like a property set or hashmap (albeit a more
> intelligent one than those provided by the JDK)?
>
> I assume you are leaning towards a generic class which acts as a "super
> smart property set", and not the "real Java class generation" approach.
> However it would make sense to point this out explicitly in your
> functional overview, given that the "real class" is what people expect
> when they think "JavaBeans".
>
> Bryan

I anticipate that many people will simply use the provided base class
(DynaBeanBase) that implements all of the specified functionality in a
generic way).  It is also straightforward to subclass DynaBeanBase if you
wanted to add some additional functionality -- such as a way to configure
the default set of properties that the bean supports), or to facilitate
existing logic that is used to using "instanceof" checks to tell if two
arbitrary beans are assignment-compatible or not.

A smaller number of advanced users will add DynaBean functionality to
their existing classes.  This is the reason for proposing DynaBean itself
as an interface.

Craig