commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: New tool - armi - 'alternate to RMI'
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:17:50 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Hammant" <Paul_Hammant@yahoo.com>
> Juozas,
>
> > I think it is better to use RMIC, generate wrappers for remote methods
> > and handle all Remote Exceptions in single method
> > like "void handle(RemoteExeption re)" or dispatch to error handlers.
> > It will be more portable.
> > Implement alternative RPC is not good idea.
>
> Is this the general concenus?
>
> I am familar with your solution for handling RemoteException (it is a
> well estabilshed pattern).  Perhaps I am the only coder that thinks
> RemoteException makes RMI a PITA.

I agree that RemoteException is a PITA; its unfortunate that a checked
exception was used IMHO.

It might be worth taking a closer look at the JAX-RPC stuff; maybe your ARMI
idea might make more sense if there is a plugable protocol such that RMI,
ARMI, JMS or SOAP could be used as the transport mechanism.

James