commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Field-Elliot <bryan_li...@netmeme.org>
Subject Re: Jakarta Persistence Framework?
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:35:04 GMT
Well, I certainly don't like to see work duplicated, and it seems that
there are many other efforts under way (some of them within Jakarta) to
build a generic persistence framework. That said, however, some
additional considerations might still point towards the usefulness of a
new framework:

I, at least, am interested in something which integrates elegently with
Struts (in a clearly designed way), such that your Actions are doing
database work (with auto-commit and auto-rollback intelligently
integrated with how Struts Actions are laid out), and your Views can
view the same data (ideally, the same beans) in some kind of read-only
capacity.

The DynaBean discussion is interesting, because if Struts development is
moving in that direction to make the DynaBean an important piece, then
perhaps a Struts-friendly persistence mechanism should also use the
DynaBean, in which case, there's nothing yet built which fits the bill.

I wouldn't think of proposing anything which slows down the development
of Craig's DynaBean idea -- however I would be interested in,
concurrently, seeing if a nice persistence mechanism could be layered on
top of it or along side it.

Bryan