commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Field-Elliot <>
Subject RE: Jakarta Persistence Framework?
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:18:30 GMT
Interesting, I didn't know there were pieces of Turbine which have been
decoupled from Turbine "proper". It seems like Torque, their persistence
layer, has been thusly decoupled. I'll take a look.

On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 11:01, Scott Sanders wrote:

    > From: Bryan Field-Elliot []
    > I see where you're going with that...
    > If I understand you correctly, your framework is simpler than
    > mine even
    > -- a pretty thin layer over JDBC, whereby all table access is
    > via generic functions to open a table (or maybe a query?) and
    > iterate through it's raw rows.
    > My framework is closer to EJB -- you end up implementing a
    > class for each table of your database, with getters/setters
    > for every field.
    > However, in the case where you want to iterate through the
    > results of a complex query (perhaps a join across multiple
    > tables), a raw query and iterate over results (like yours)
    > might be more appropriate than an "entity" based approach
    > like mine (and EJB).
    > Still I'm hoping to hear from others as to whether there
    > already is something like this in one of the other Jakarta
    > projects, or maybe even already in the commons/sandbox.
    Did you check into Peers in Turbine?  Turbine also has a product called
    Torque which generates all the Peer code from an XML file.  Perhaps
    there are other solutions in Avalon land?
    > Thanks,
    > Bryan
    To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
    For additional commands, e-mail: <>