commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rodney Waldhoff" <rw...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Questions on HttpClient - Proxy Setting
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:03:55 GMT
>But I am very interested how that works without those system properties. It
>would be very nice if someone could lose a few words about it, how
>HttpClient manages Proxy-Setting internally.

HTTP Client simply follows the HTTP specification for proxies. E.g., suppose
you want to connect to jakarta.apache.org on port 80, but you want to do it
via a proxy at proxy.example.com on port 81. Then we open a socket
connection to proxy.example.com:81, and submit the following HTTP request:

GET http://jakarta.apache.org:80/ HTTP/1.1
Host: jakarta.apache.org

(versus

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: jakarta.apache.org

which is what we'd submit if we were connecting to jakarta.apache.org
directly.)

The socket opening stuff is in HttpConnection.open().  The "request line"
generation is in HttpMethodBase.generateRequestLine(...)

See RFC 2616 (ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2616.txt), especially section
5.1.2 for details.