commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Arun M. Thomas" <AMamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [digester] forcing a specific DTD
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:55:53 GMT
Tal,

Note that you can register a local copy of
the dtd against which you'd like to process
a document using the digester.register()
method.  You can also require that the user
supply the correct PUBLIC Id (as per your
documentation or template) simply by checking
the public id via the digester.getPublicId()
method.

(I haven't actually had a need to do this,
but it does seem to be possible :)

It doesn't satisfy all your requirements; e.g.
the user must still ensure that a public and system
id are present in the XML file.  However, this can
probably be handled simply by documenting the
required Public ID.  Also, validating against a
dtd other than that visible to the user in the
XML file is misleading to the user if there is
an error occuring.

However, note that the Tomcat example you provided
is slightly at odds with what I understand you're
trying to accomplish.  Tomcat parsing simply defers
all validation to the application itself.  As you
said, the Tomcat implementation does the magic of
validation.  Here, you're hoping to have the digester
do some of that magic so that your particular
application code doesn't need to do so.   If you're
willing to code all the validation rules into
your application, you wouldn't need to use a
validating parser.

Cheers,
-AMT