commons-dev mailing list archives

From "storck" <dirk.sto...@cms.tecmath.de>
Subject AW: workflow
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:06:01 GMT
Does any examples and docs for the workflow exist?

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: craigmcc@ns.tecmath.com [mailto:craigmcc@ns.tecmath.com]Im Auftrag
von Craig R. McClanahan
Gesendet: Samstag, 17. November 2001 00:47
An: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Cc: whj38@yahoo.ca
Betreff: Re: workflow

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Warren Janssens wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:32:57 -0500 (EST)
> From: Warren Janssens <whj38@yahoo.ca>
> To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: workflow
>
> I was just curious how the workflow in sandbox relates
> (if at all) to jsr 94 and/or ruleml?

I don't know much of the detail behind JSR 94, but from the description it
looks like this is focused on a "declarative" style of locating rules that
match a particular business situation.  In a similar vein, RuleML seems to
be more focused on the inference engine space.

The Commons Workflow package is more "procedural" in nature, defining the
actual steps that should take place and not worrying so much about how you
decide which Activity is relevant at this point in time.  My initial
primary use case was relatively low level (automating the navigation of
wizard-style dialogs in web applications), and the generic workflow design
grew out of those needs -- such as generalizing the concept of Scopes
instead of hard-wiring it to the Servlet concepts of request, session, and
applicaiton scope.

Finally, it's worth noting that the Commons Workflow package provides an
XML syntax for defining the Steps of an Activity, but using it is not
required -- you can use any mechanism you wish to construct the in-memory
object trees for each Activity.  If you use the XML syntax, the concept of
using a namespace for rule sets is somewhat similar to what RuleML does.

Craig