commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul C. Bryan" <pbr...@creatia.com>
Subject [HttpClient] Bug 5018 PATCH
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:43:47 GMT
Chunked transfer encoding not isolated from application.

Chunked transfer encoding is not being supported transparently by the
HttpMethodBase object, causing chunk data to be embedded in response
body data and forcing the application to handle the HTTP/1.1
implementation of chunked transfer encoding.

The included patch now properly parses chunk data as per HTTP/1.1 and
provides body content consistently, regardless of whether chunked
transfer encoding was used by the server or not. This relieves the
application from the requirement of implementing HTTP/1.1.

Patch Notes:

HTTP/1.1 specifies optional footer fields that are supplied after the
end of the chunked data body. These are parsed, but added as "header"
fields because I didn't want to change the HttpMethod interface. The
result is that footer fields such as signatures must be retrieved as
headers. The downside to this approach is there is no way to distinguish
  between a header field and a footer field when interrogating the
HttpMethod.

I've defined a constant SIZE_buf to use as a buffer size for allocated
copy buffers. I've only used it in my patch (because it is referred to
more than once in the method), but propose that it be used by any
methods that perform copy operations with the allocation of a buffer.
Comments?

Because a ResponseInputStream is used to read the body, the response
footers cannot be retrived using the conn.readLine() method. Instead,
the ResponseInputStream.readLine method must be used. For this reason,
response footers are read after the body in the readResponseBody method.

I'm not sure why only get request method is supporting writing content
to disk. I believe the useDisk functionality should be moved to
HttpMethodBase. I was tempted to do so, but didn't want to jeopardize
the acceptance of this patch. If someone gives me the go ahead, I am
willing to move useDisk into HttpMethodBase.

GetMethod.readResponseBody(HttpState, HttpConnection) duplicated much of
HttpMethodBase.readResponseBody(HttpState, HttpConnection)
functionality. I moved this into a new common
readResponseBody(ResponseInputStream, OutputStream) that is shared by
HttpMethodBase and GetMethod. If useDisk moves into HttpMethodBase,
there should be no longer be a need for this separate method.

The included patches have been extensively tested against a WebLogic 6.1
SP1 server, which makes use of chunked transfer encoding when content
length is not known ahead of time.

I've gone out of my way to keep the style of this patch consistent with
the existing source code. I'm curious how much liberty I can take in the
future when it comes to formatting.

Yours truly,

Paul C. Bryan
pbryan@creatia.com