commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [Betwixt] Documentation
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:11:11 GMT
On Monday, November 19, 2001, at 10:35 AM, James Strachan wrote:

> Hi Robert

hi james

> By all means dive in and add comments whereever you think is a good idea.
> The best way to get a feel for what betwixt can do right now is looking at
> the JUnit test cases in src/test/*.

my head's to small to cope without doc comments ;)

> I've been a bit side tracked with Messenger and dom4j lately but I'd like
> get back to betwixt very soon (a week or so) to do a bean Navigator for
> Jaxen.

a bean navigator sounds pretty cool

> Also it'd be interesting to see how easy it would be to use betwixt
> to generate digester rules from a bean class.

jason's now more interesting in a completely dynamic xml <-> object model
mapper (for use with turbine). you start with a generic mapping pattern,
and then take any xml and any group of object - which together conform to
this pattern - and produce xml from the objects and objects from the xml.

> Betwixt uses introspection to determine a default XML representation model
> for a bean (which can be overridden by providing a custom XMLBeanInfo
> class
> in the same way as BeanInfo in the Java Beans spec).

<snip>

> Though I must admit that right now betwixt is a little one directional;
> the
> ElementDescriptor & AttributeDescriptor take an Expression that when
> evaluated on a bean will return an object - so its an abstraction on
> getting
> a property name, iterating or calling a method etc. This allows a very
> flexible mappings to occur - such as
> mapping a Map using the entrySet() method etc. Though this may make it a
> little harder to write an XML -> Object generator, such as to generate
> digester rules.

i'm interested to see how betwixt approaches the introspection.

plus - of course - i'm fed up of writing object model -> xml code to make
sure that the digestion is working properly...

- robert