commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Workflow & Turbine design questions
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 02:32:45 GMT
One way to approach these issues (and would even fit into the Commons
charter :-) would be to conceive of a Commons package to do background job
scheduling and execution (what legacy OSs called "batch job queues")
within a JVM.  Executing a particular workflow script would be only one of
the interesting things you could do -- ideally the definition of a "job"
would be something like "call method X on object Y" so it could be fully
generalized.

The "jobs" package could be configured with limits on how many background
threads it could run, support ways to schedule jobs repeatedly, and all
the other stuff you can do with "cron" type utilities, if we wanted.  It
could be embedded in any sort of long-running JVM (such as in a webapp on
a servlet container), as well as stand-alone background jobs.

This is a bigger task than just something that can run Workflow scripts in
background threads (which isn't terribly difficult to hard code in your
application by starting a new thread and executing the Activity there),
but it would be a generally useful package.  What do you think?

Craig