commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Proposal for Validation Framework
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:40:23 GMT


On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Rey Francois wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:51:11 +0100
> From: Rey Francois <Francois.Rey@capco.com>
> Reply-To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List' <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Proposal for Validation Framework
>
> Craig,
>
> Any other information on the status of this JSR? The community draft is due
> in Fall of this year, but it does not appear to be in this stage yet...
>

Discussion within the Expert Group is ongoing, and we're looking at some
concrete ideas for the APIs.  I'm afraid that I cannot be more specific
until public draft state.

> Fr.
>

Craig


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
> Sent: 27 November 2001 13:56
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
> Subject: RE: Proposal for Validation Framework
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Rey Francois wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:30:23 +0100
> > From: Rey Francois <Francois.Rey@capco.com>
> > Reply-To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> > To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List' <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: RE: Proposal for Validation Framework
> >
> >
> > Having a validation framework in the Jakarta commons is a great idea, the
> > Java community would definitely benefit from this. There is one JSR which
> > should go into this direction, but that JSR seems kind of quiet from the
> > outsider's prospective I have: see the JavaServer Faces JSR on
> > http://www.jcp.org/jsr/detail/127.jsp. The Mapper framework I've created
> > could also be a good candidate (see
> > http://husted.com/struts/resources/mapper.zip). I'm sure there are many
> more
> > contenders out there -I just saw a reply in this thread about Barracuda-
> so
> > I expect this topic to last, or die!
> >
>
> As a member of the JSR-127 expert group, I can assure you that the EG
> considers validation for user input (typically from an HTML form) is
> definitely within the scope of JavaServer Faces.  That being said, this
> does not reduce the usefulness of a general purpose Validation framework
> that can be used across different UI frameworks.
>
> > Fr.
> >
>
> Craig McClanahan
>
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: David Winterfeldt [mailto:dwinterfeldt@yahoo.com]
> > Sent: 26 November 2001 18:43
> > To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> > Subject: Proposal for Validation Framework
> >
> >
> > This validation framework was made to work with Struts
> > originally, but it will work on any JavaBean.  So in
> > some discussions we thought that it might be nice if
> > it was in commons so more people would know about it
> > and can use it.  Also there could be more examples of
> > making it work with other frameworks than Struts.
> > Here is a brief description of the project and the
> > link to the site where it is posted (which has
> > documenation posted on it).
> >
> > The Validation Framework was made to work with Struts
> > although it can be used to perform validation on any
> > JavaBean (by using the Validator class). It can
> > perform basic validations to check if a field is
> > required, matches a regular expression, email, credit
> > card, and server side type checking and date
> > validation. Different validation rules can be defined
> > for different locales. The framework has basic support
> > for user defined constants which can be used in some
> > field attributes. The validation routines are
> > modifiable in the validation.xml file so custom
> > validation routines can be created and added to the
> > framework.  JavaScript can be auto-generated that
> > matches the server side validation.  The current tag
> > (JavascriptValidatorTag) relies on Struts, but could
> > be abstracted to generate Javascript for other
> > frameworks.
> >
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~dwinterfeldt/
> >
> > Validating Outside of Struts
> >
> http://home.earthlink.net/~dwinterfeldt/overview.html#validatingOutsideOfStr
> > uts
> >
> > Let me know if there are any questions.
> >
> > David Winterfeldt
> >
> > __________________________________________________
> > Do You Yahoo!?
> > Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just $8.95/month.
> > http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
> >
> > --
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > <mailto:commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > <mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > ************************************************************************
> > The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely
> > for the addressee(s).
> > Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not
> > an intended recipient, please notify the sender of this email
> > immediately. You should not copy, use or disseminate the
> > information contained in the email.
> > Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
> > sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be
> > the views of Capco.
> >
> > http://www.capco.com
> > ***********************************************************************
> >
> >
> > --
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> <mailto:commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> <mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> <mailto:commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> ************************************************************************
> The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely
> for the addressee(s).
> Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not
> an intended recipient, please notify the sender of this email
> immediately. You should not copy, use or disseminate the
> information contained in the email.
> Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
> sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be
> the views of Capco.
>
> http://www.capco.com
> ***********************************************************************
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message