commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Gerdau" <...@technosis.de>
Subject RE: [digester] forcing a specific DTD
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:05:03 GMT
>I am not sure. It is very long and I am not a lawyer ;-)
>
>One way to convert it to ASL is to ask for the permissions of the
>authors. This is how Lucene became a Jakarta project, it used to
>be GPL.

I'm no lawyer either. But one of the most prominent properties of
the GPL (at least to my understanding) is its "stickyness". Once some
code is GPL'd you can't take away that property no matter what you
do.

If I recall it right this was one of the driving forces to create the
GPL the way it is.

Best,
Michael
--