commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [digester] using non URL'ed DTD's
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 02:55:30 GMT

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Tal Dayan wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:59:30 -0800
> From: Tal Dayan <tal@zapta.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: [digester] using non URL'ed  DTD's
>
> Hello,
>
> We are still not able to use a DTD for validation because our DTD file has a
> path that
> is not acceptable by Digester and/or the underlying XML parser (the URL is
> 'file://d:/a/b/c.dtd' but the Windows drive letter 'd:' confuses
> everything).

Digester couldn't care less, as long as the JDK doesn't throw
MalformedURLException.  If your parser chokes on this, it's time to get a
better parser :-).  Or, figure out what your parser *will* accept for
Windows-based file paths.  That's up to whatever parser you are using, not
Digester.

> Actually, this is a more general issue in cases where the DTD
> can not be referred to by a URL (e.g., when it is taken directly from a data
> base).
>
> My suggestion is to add another registration method that accepts a Reader
> instead of the URL. This way the DTD can be retrieved from file, in memory
> cache buffer, etc.

Both JAXP/1.1 and Xerces 1.4.3 work for me, on both Windows and Unix.

> Thanks,
>
> Tal

Craig