commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: The Commons Proper - component sharing
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 09:57:02 GMT
Firstly, what do you define as a "component"? What sort of info are you
after?

I think it boils down to, "how will registering benefit this project"?

Advertising? Try typing the following in Google:

"java XML parser" -> First hit is Xerces
"java XSLT processor" -> First hit is Xalan
"servlet container" -> First hit is Tomcat
"java build tool" -> First hit is Ant

Conclusion: if the product is good, advertising isn't needed.

So imagine you're an open source developer. You have a choice of:

a) spending time making your code and documentation better so people
will want to use it
b) spending time creating and (more importantly) maintaining project
metadata solely for the benefit of users of a proprietary tool.

I think you need to make option b) more appealing ;)

--Jeff