commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Submission: XML DOCTYPE manipulation code
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2001 22:19:06 GMT
Hi,

I have written some utility code for manipulating the DOCTYPE
declaration on an incoming XML byte stream. Pre-parse DOCTYPE
declaration manipulation is useful where:

 - you want to validate incoming XML which may not have a DOCTYPE
   declaration.
 - the incoming XML may have an incorrect or unresolvable DOCTYPE
   declaration, that you want to remove or replace.

Source and binary distributions available here:

  http://newgate.socialchange.net.au/~jeff/doctypechanger/

and Javadocs (including a description and examples) here:

  http://newgate.socialchange.net.au/~jeff/doctypechanger/latest/apidocs/

As the javadocs note, this is an extension of code by author Simon
St.Laurent (http://www.simonstl.com/projects/doctypes/).

Anyway, as I suspect this code could be useful to many people, I was wondering
if it could be further developed in jakarta-commons-sandbox?

Btw, I did consider xml-commons (which seems more appropriate), but their goals
are different:

  "New modules generally shouldn't go in until at least two separate
  other projects express interest in using the module.  I think this is
  an important difference from jakarta-commons that makes sense in our
  world.  I.e. I'd rather not just throw something in because it seems
  like it might be useful, I'd rather only put things in that we know
  will be shared among multiple projects."

The code I wrote is very much in the "seems like it might be useful"
category ;)

thanks,

--Jeff