commons-dev mailing list archives

From Lavandowska <flanandow...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [Collections] Insertion Ordered Map
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2001 20:00:10 GMT

--- bayard@generationjava.com wrote:
> The first is just a passing mention of SequencedHashMap, from the
> Commons.Collections package, it appears to be a solution to some of

SequencedHashMap fails in that the Set it returns for keySet does not
maintain insertion order (believe me, I've tried it).

> The second is why all the panic about the Hash part of it. My view of
> extended Collection classes has always been to make a ProxyMap class,
> which does nothing but delegate to another Map, and implement Map,

I'm not sure if your suggestion would fit or not, but my particular
concern is a case where a third-party piece of software requires a
HashMap, but I want to use one that maintains insertion order (not
something currently supported) rather than random or Natural ordering.

If your ProxyMap solution can provide for both these cases (can be
recognized as a HashMap and supports "arbitrary ordering") I would
cheer the flexibility you propose.

Lance