commons-dev mailing list archives

From "*Colin Sharples" <>
Subject Workflow
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:20:01 GMT

I think there's a bug in BaseDescriptor. The doc for BaseDescriptor.get()
"Return the value specified by this Descriptor from the specified Context.
If there is no such value, return null."
However, JXPath (or at least the version which I have) has two modes for
getting values, strict and lenient. In strict mode (the default), if you
have a path such as "foo/bar/quux", and the bar property is null,
JXPathContext.getValue() will throw a runtime exception rather than return
null. I think the latter behaviour is what BaseDescriptor is expecting, so
in BaseDescriptor.get() you need to change

            JXPathContext jpc = context.getJXPathContext();
            return (jpc.getValue("local/" + xpath));

            JXPathContext jpc = context.getJXPathContext();
            return (jpc.getValue("local/" + xpath));

BTW, I've been working on an implementation of the workflow system, which
definitely rocks. I've created an execution environment based on JMS -
activities are triggered by messages arriving on queues. I'm not sure what
the attitude of the client I'm working for is, but I may be able to submit
the generic JMS stuff I've been working on when I'm finished (mid-December).

Colin Sharples
IBM Global Services New Zealand.